View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bets View Post
Love this idea, I have tons of questions!

I have a Dwarf Magnolia and a Witchhazel (zone 7). When do I fertilize them, how often and how? Some people have told me to poke holes in the ground and put fertilizer there (with fertilizer made for that way) others have said the kind to sprinkle in the area is better.

THANKS!
Fertilize them now with a fertilizer that is a bit higher in Phosphorus. Fertilizers have what they call an NPK ratio, 3 numbers. A balanced ratio of 8-8-8 or 10-10-10 is fine this time of year, but in a couple of months you will want to give it a fertilizer with a 5-10-5 ratio.

A broadcast, granular type fertilizer that waters in easily is just fine. Miracle Gro makes a good one and so does Scott. Whatever is easiest for you to use and convenient. Just watch the ratio on the bag.

General Purpose Fertilizer - designed to provide basic nutrients for any plant, best for trees and shrubs.
· Lawn Fertilizer - Tends to have more nitrogen which turfgrass needs
· Flower Garden Fertilizer - Tends to have a bit more phosphorous which is needed to help encourage blossoms.
· Vegetable Garden Fertilizer - Higher percentage of all major nutrients since closely planted vegetables need more food.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote