View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Tootise? Understand...TOTALLY!

Over ten years ago I went thru the initial 'thyroid diagnosis' food processor. By who I now realise was a very astute GP...one clued into women's issues. My case too started out with a 'goiter'...Lots of specific blood tests and a sonogram and MRI of the affected 'goiter' area. Including a biopsy called an 'aspiration' which came out negative. My own hypothyroid was kept at bay by synthroid at many different doses...I started out at the 50 went up to the hundreds, back down to the 80's and up and down for years. Things were stable UNTIL I acquired the autoimmune CIDP. About 4-5 months later things went crazy. I was still in the CIDP diagnosis phase at the time and the GP at the time did NOT connect any immune issue 'dots'. My synthroid dose was upped a bit and all seemed fine. UNTIL I was diagnosed w/cancer with all the following surgeries and post-surgery chemo. It was the chemo[AI's] to me, that was blocking soo much estrogens...resulting in a substantial change in Osteo numbers that prompted more looking at my own thyroid. Definitely 'Hashi's' and definitely one dead thyroid. How each is related to the other? Well, Docs had the opportunities to check, but simply did not. EVEN tho I was telling them of these issues. We make do as best we can with what we have?
As for Synthroid? A good doc [endo-in this case] should be able to sort out your blood #'s on X dose and adjust things to keep you stable. Honestly I'd been told at first, and still believe, by a wise nurse that Thyroid [Hypo] Is common in pre-to post menopausal women and is, once dose is adjusted one of the simpler things to fix. Thing is, many docs don't know and don't fix. It took me 4-5 years of synthroid med adjustments to find my first happy medium, I'm now on another one [a higher one]. One has to be careful not to do too much or too little. Plus, it takes about a month on any dosage or more to see if things are 'working'. Even then it takes TIME! And? Lots of blood tests in-between.
As for going on Armour or the like? That, from all I've read should beconsidered ONLY after synthroid dose variations have been throughly explored. There are many, many variables in the production and dosages of this product and it doesn't seem to be as simple or convenient to take. IF I had to go that route? I would go to one of the few [I believe] experts in the country who advocate this therapy. Some folks swear by it? But IF you can get by on the other [synthroid] it's much simpler and easier. I DO know tho, that all of the docs who have ever prescribed Synthroid for me? DO NOT allow the substitution of a generic. They all feel that there are substantial differences in the processing and effectiveness of the real thing over the generic. I cannot speak to the use of generic here, as I've not had it?

Tootsie? I agree! It IS a constant battle! I constantly ask myself: 'Who's on First?' about this all. And, my answer always seems to be: 'I don't know!'
We are complex organisims. There may or may not be connections between things. We are also NOT hot house flowers or lab rats. For me tho? My own instincts that 'something is not right!' and the like has kept me going.
DANG!! I hate it when my body is right! Well, we just slog on and try and do something about it.

Tootsie? Does your insurance allow you to see an endo w/o a special referral? IF so? Why aren't you making that appointment? It mite take weeks to get in for that first appointment, but, once IN, hey! You are IN!!!!!!! Go for it! Hugs and all that? - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote