View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannet View Post
This is for all you wonderful caregivers! Please, Please, Please don't ignore your own Health

A friend of the family passed away a few days ago at 58 years old.

Linda was the caregiver to her wonderful hubby who has MS and is in a wheelchair.

She was so focused on taking care of her hubby that she ignored symptoms regarding her own health. When she finally went to see her doctor it was already to late. She had cancer and because of her ignoring sx's it had spread like wildfire.

5 months after her dx she passed away leaving her disable husband.

This is going to be a hard long road for her dh because Linda did everything for him.

Please take care of yourselves! You are important too!

People would tell me that I would either get sick or die if I didn't lighten up with regard to care of my parents.

I didn't die, but I sure did compromise my health. I kind of hung in there till mom and dad were gone and then I got sick.

Question is; What do you do? If no one else will step up to the plate (and believe me I tried to make them do it) then do you turn your back? I couldn't do that and so I accept the consequences.

Now, to make it clear, my parents didn't live with me, but I used to drive about 75 mile round trip once a week to clean their apt., do the laundry and take them shopping.

When my mother became seriously ill, I went to the hospital (50 mile round trip) every day and also picked up my dad and took him. I took care of dad the best I could; did his laundry and brought meals.

When mom went into a nursing home I went daily for about 5 years and eventually I went every other day. Then dad went into a home. I'd alternate.

When my DH was transferred to Florida, I made the 1800 mile drive or took a flight on a montly basis. I'd sometimes stay a week or two.

The stress did take it's toll.

I already had my dx of MS, but wasn't too sick till after our second move to NC. Then I got sinus disease and my thyroid became unstable.

Combine the 3 problems and you get one tired person.

However, I would not trade the time I had with my parents and I could never just stand by and let them suffer. If it were my spouse it would be the same. I'm not going to desert.

That's just life. You take the good with the bad and I've had samples of both.

Tootsie
SandyC (08-10-2009), tamiloo (08-08-2009), who moi (08-14-2009)