View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Hi. Move out to the country?? That's all I would need. My friend lives out in the woods in New Jersy, and she has raccoons and animals coming up to her back porch. THAT IS NOT FOR ME. I'm a city girl. I do not like bugs. I don't think I can grow lettuce in two flower pots, but something like basil or rosemary. We have those type of little plants (available in May), I think I'll plant them. I use basil all the time in my salads, and I use rosemary on my chicken. The only problem is during the night, people come and cut thinks off of your garden.

Now picture this. I live in an italian neighborhood. Everybody has a backyard. The people who own the homes use their backyard to grow grapes off of vines. and one guy has this TREMENDOUS backyard with trees that bear fruit, vines that grow strawberries, blackberries (you have NEVER TASTED ANYTHING SO DELICIOUS), well, he grows everything. So once a year I take a walk around the corner, and when I run into him, I say: "what'd you grow this year? and he goes, oh oh , come and look. and I leave with zucchinis, peppers, blackberries (enough food for the week). My landlord then taps on my back window and gives me bunches of grapes and these green 6 feet long zucchini things that are growing from the ceiling of these viines.

See, I get the goodies, and I didn't do a thing.

I can just imagine me planting and weeding, and pushing away bugs. I think I would die. I'm such a wuss lol
My family is from Italy. They came here in the mid 1800's. They looked at a few places; took a wagon to the plains state and built a sod house ....I have a picture of my Great-great g'ma smoking a corn cob pipe and leaning on the house.

Anyway, some of the family kept going;most came back. They settled in the Detroit area which had many, many immigrants from Italy, France, Germany etc. They had ethnic neighborhoods....

Grandma had a small house when I knew her. She had roses (red climbers) that grew against the garage. She had Hollyhock (alley flowers we called them)growing on the fence by the alley. There were all kinds of flowers and vegetables. People always had gardens, both flower and veggie.

You are so lucky to be in a similar neighborhood.

I also have flowers, but keep the veggies down to tomatoes and early spring stuff like cabbage and lettuce.

I love to garden, but the heat and humidity in the south is kind of discouraging to gardeners. It takes a lot to keep things going in the hot months (me included).

I still have a lot to learn about what does best here.

Tootsie