View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face well, I certainly

appreciate the confidence you have in me. But I am limited too.

I don't think that the technology is lacking. I think that interpretation of the data is not understood at this time. As long as the drug companies have a strangle hold on our economy, we won't see progress. We only have what the drug companies choose to give us at this time. A major political problem, based on economics and greed.

Doctors are historically trained in a very old fashioned way. They are taught to observe and label.

The chemistry and technology has far surpassed the training/teaching institutions. Changes in teaching do not occur quickly...and that delay imperils patients, unfortunately.
Dr. Andrew Weil who graduated from Harvard, has been working very diligently to change the training of new doctors. But I don't know how far he has gone or if he has succeeded.

There are for example tests available now to determine how people metabolize drugs. The tests cost a minimum of $300 each. But few doctors avail themselves of this new test so that drugs may be used well by their patients without toxicity or danger.

I have read some articles that predict that drugs and treatments will be tailored to individual patients within 10 yrs. I often wonder if I will really see this event.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote