Thread: baking question
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 04:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lor View Post
I've made bread in my the bread machine before and also mixed the dough in it but put it in the oven to bake. Why would you say the crust comes out very hard? I just made some in the oven & the crust is hard. I put butter on top while it was still warm. Can you help me? I'm waiting till supper to cut it. I have 2 kids & the 19 yr old won't be eating with us tonight, but this is us sometimes.
I usually use an egg wash instead of butter. You want to do a double egg wash before you put it in the oven (letting the first coat dry)

Here's some stuff I found online about different washes

Brushing the dough with an egg wash before baking is important to produce the proper color and sheen. The top of the dough should be lightly brushed with egg wash, but care should be taken to prevent the egg wash from running down the sides of the pan and preventing the dough from rising properly in the oven. Two light coats of egg wash or milk and oil glaze are better than one heavy coat. The following is a list of egg and dairy washes and the effect each has on the final crust (Collister and Blake 23).

Wash Crust

Egg white with a pinch of salt matte, golden brown crust
Egg yolk with a pinch of salt glossy, golden brown crust
Whole milk matte, golden crust
Half and half matte, golden crust
Heavy cream matte, cracked golden crust
Olive oil slight gloss, golden brown crust
greta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (03-20-2008), southie (03-20-2008)