View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 03:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Crazy malpractice lawsuit

Hi numb,
I'm very sorry you have RSD thru circumstances of medical neglect or not being diagnosed soon afterward and getting treatment quickly. I do have a successful malpractice suit against a Dr. that was responsible for my mothers death at 46 yrs. old due to misdiagnosis.She died in less than a year after changing Drs. and getting a correct diagnosis.(too late) As you realize, Drs. stick together as well as lawyers. In my opinion, it's important to get an attorney that specializes in medical malpractice. They are the ones that have the ($) to go up against wealthy insurance companies and hospitals. We went out of town 100 miles to a larger city and got an attorney. He represented us on a percentage basis. We had a video deposition of my mother done, as we knew she wouldn't be alive for the trial 'by judge'. He awarded us what would be equivalent to $3 million plus medical expenses.
Sometimes you can get a referrel of a good medical malpractice attorney from
your own attorney, your support group may know of one. Make sure there is no conflict of interest where they would have to refuse. My daughter is a court reporter -she has done rsd depositions before. Believe me, the insurance attorneys have deep pockets ($$$$$$) and very experienced. I would certainly ask any attorney I interview, if they have experience with RSD, or even know what it is. You might call the group leader in your larger cities for reference. Usually it's two years from when you are diagnosed, not from the injury.
On the other had, we have also been on the unhappy side of a lawsuit.
We sued a professional on huge loss due to the professionals neglegence and therefore costing us several million in damages. This was not a medical suit.,
but a business one. After a week in trial, the judge ruled there was a law in the state forbidding third party lawsuits. We took it to the State Court, who choose to not hear the case, due to setting precedents for man you other similar lawsuits. We choose not to go to the Supreme Court. Usually you can get a short visit at no cost for a trial attorney.On a percentage basis, with them paying the bills, they wouldn't take it unless they think they can win.
You may search around on the web to see who you might interview. I really
think, personally, better to get attorney out of town. I'd find out when your stature of limitations is out. Remember not from they injury, but discovery of the injury.It's worth getting an attorney on contingency % and large city. Where do you live?

Well wishes and soft hugs and sunny days to all,

Loretta
loretta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote