View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I just came home from my friend's 74th birthday party!!

Kitt.

My friend around the corner turned 74 today. She's a widow. We all sit on her porch in the evening and talk and shoot the breeze. She lost her husband 8 years ago and has never been the same.

I recently took a photo of her and me together on the porch. I put that photo in a beautiful picture frame and put it in a gift bag and brought it over and they made cake and coffee in the backyard. She absolutely adored it. Seems all her lady friends have passed on!!!

Want to know what she said when I gave her the gift? She said "and I thought I would never have another friend!!!

After the party, I said to her "guess where we are going now? and she said "i'm going in and I'm going to bed" I said "oh no".

(there is a feast (a big giant bazaar with music, food, rides, etc.) that starts at the end of her block and runs for 12 blocks or so.

She hasn't been to a feast in over 10 years. She just sits in her house or on the porch. I told her "we are going to the feast". She said "we are????" I said "yup, you are getting out of your comfort zone on your birthday". I gently walked with her through the crowds over to the earring racks and there she stood amazed looking at the thousands of earrings for sale. We walked a bit to a stand that sold clothing for dogs (she has a dog she adores). We only stayed 15 minutes or so but for those 15 minutes, she got off her porch and took a walk. I walked her home and came home myself.

No one has to get old anymore as long as people have friends, family (if you're lucky to have them) and people who care.

Thats the creed I try to live by.

take care,Melody
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote