View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypearlgirl View Post
Awww, I kill everything I touch, LOL!!! Can you two help me with my house plants? I'm murdering my spider plants, the aloa vera, my prayer plant...... oh, and the boston fern has lost most of it's leaves. There's a few others that I haven't killed yet, but I can tell you they are not very happy. Maybe it's my singing to them that's doing it????

Carolyn
Are you misting? If so, don't. With most plants like those water collects at the base of the leaves and causes rot. They like humidity, but only in the air around them.

Watering - they like the soil to feel dry to the touch before you water. But do water.

How long since they've been repotted? The soil may be out of nutrients, may have become contaminated. Fungus, bacteria, and pests happen even in indoor pots.

I have an easier time with outdoor plants than indoor ones because natuter takes care of all those things better than I do.

I'd probably start with a fresh bag of Hyponex, a clean pot - check to see if their current one is still large enough, and if so just wash with hot soapy water. If not, only go up one size.

Wash the roots off well too with luke warm water - just in case it is something in the soil. Heck, wash the leaves, genlty. If there are any sick looking ones, cut them off. I use a solution of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water to kill bacteria if I really think the plant is sick. Pot them up, water well.

If it's a newer problems, I'd put them back where they were. If it's an on going thing, I'd rethink where they were. Maybe the lighting isn't right, maybe it's not warm enough, too warm.

Then try to water on a schedule when the soil feels dry.
prettypearlgirl (03-23-2008)