View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 11:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default forgiving

I dunno, I'm a bit more forgiving of the guy. Usually the person doing the EMG/NCS does not want to say anything about the result, because it really takes a bit of time poring over it to figure it out. Asked a question that puts him on the spot, the doc/tech is just human enough to flub through it.

I can see that the question: "Should I worry?", could put the guy over the edge. Think about it--he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he says "No", and you have something serious, he's flubbed, and if he says "yes", he's set you off where you are BOUND to ask him more questions about what he sees.

I'm past being astonished at the bad manners and bad habits and attitudes of so many of our doctors, but on the other hand, I can see how if we don't formulate our questions well, and they don't know us well, we put them on the spot.

It's kind of like a woman asking a guy for a talk about "feelings". His immediate reaction is PANIC!

i can empathize with the poor shnook. Asked "Should I worry?", and he's in panic mode.

Let's be a bit forgiving of the guy. If he did a good EMG, and made it as painless as he could, and there's a competently written report, I'd let him off the hook. There are so many really bad things to get our craw. You know what I mean? I mean, I doubt that this guy was even motivated by arrogance or ego. He just didn't know what to say. It takes a good amount of time to sit down with the tracings and figure them out, he's not your doctor, and he's asked a high intensity question.

So, he flubbed. Can you forgive him? Save the real resentment for the real a**holes among them?

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote