Thread: Possible PN
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I just want to clarify my comments on treadmills...I used to own them and use them....they are good if you have no gait problems, have feeling in your feet, and can tolerate the 'shear' that happens when you are walking on a moving surface.

It is the moving surface that bothers me.

When you walk on a stationary surface, regardless of how hard it is, it is not moving the opposite way of your foot....think of it this way, a treadmill is actually sliding your shoe backwards from under your foot to some extent....the road, trail or sidewalk is not (altho they can be hard, unstable and uneven.)

You also have to walk at the pace of the treadmill, with no deviation or you can fall. If you have any gait issues that consistent movement of the treadmill, can force you into a gait that is not normal for you. A treadmill has to have medical rails or forget it. Good treadmills cost over $5000.

You do need weight bearing exercise, and cycling which I love, and swimming are not weight bearing....often however, I try to run in water, which is therapeutic. An elliptical, provided the stride is set well for you, will give you some weight bearing, not as much as walking, but you won't experience shear. I have an elliptical, but I think the stride is too far apart...hubby likes it, I don't.

That said, treadmills are more padded, and if you can find a stable but soft trail, such as a gravel hiking or biking trail, that is ideal. Be conscious of walking on roadways as they are crowned to drain, and one leg will hit before the other and that can cause imbalances and foot injuries....the leg nearest the road comes down faster, it as less far to travel...you are essentially walking on a slant. Not good. Your hips will even be affected by the further reach of the one on the side away from the road.

You have a lot of foot, ankle and back issues which actually can all be related....one titch off in a joint and the whole posture and gait is affected. Gait analysis, orthotics evaluation, could help you with every day pain and are a must if you plan on exercising.

I know there are a few posters who have a lot of knowledge in this area and can also add to your knowledge base.

It is very hard to find a physical therapist interested in working with PNers, or a personal trainer skilled enough to know how to work with PNers. My background is in nursing and clinical exercise science, but, I went to the school of hard knocks....figuring out how to exercise with PN...now that I know I have it, I understand why I got so many injuries when I thought I was 'healthy'.

Getting diagnosed with PN is like putting together a gigantic puzzle, and unfortunately, you are the one who has to do the work....docs may try, but even the best docs, don't know all of your experiences....and don't know all the areas your neuropathy can affect.

Get your neuropathy diagnosed, identified, the cause treated, and then work on the issues of learning to exercise with PN.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote