View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Hi All
Noxy, I had bil ribs done along time ago, but then 2 and half years ago had to have redo/exploratory surgery to left side. To cut long story short I developed shortness of breath and chest pain a few days post surgery (x ray immed post op shows equal diaphragms) it looked at first if having embolism etc ( I had artery stenosis).. Anyway I was found to have elevated l diaphragm and had spell ITU. Had nerve conduction studies and I have Phrenic nerve palsy (complete) on L side and some issues with right side. I get short of breath on minimal exertion and on continuous oxygen which helps as resp rate is quite high. I cannot lie flat as have that someone sitting on chest wall and choking fullness around throat. It is not pleasant at all. I was told that if just down to irritation it can take years to improve or may never. I have problems on r side but no way can I have any surgery attempted now as exceptionally risky. Had pulmonary function tests which are not fab. This is problematic from pain relief as have to be careful that do not cause any respiratory depression.

Sorry if this sounds scary but knowing that you are not alone etc may help.

Dimarie mentiones about chewing food well...I have ocassions when something goes the wrong way, not pleasant at all. Seems to occur if have chest infection (more prone to and cough not great)etc at time.

Take it slow and steady and be careful if have resp infection - I have to have antibiotics on standby.

Take care and rest up from surgery.

Love
Hx

BTW
To everyone best wishes at Easter time - thinking of you all. I am not in good state at moment , pain has has shot up high and wish I could leave both arms and neck somewhere and have a rest from it all. I am doing best to keep laughing (hard work) and try do some things despite the pain. Have pain at rest and pain worse when do anything but try to battle though then pay for it. Need to remember my limitations - not good to start off with. HAd Right SI joint injected recently so at least one thing a bit easier!!
Horizontal One is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
astern (03-24-2008), Casey14 (08-19-2010), Jomar (03-23-2008)