View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slskckjebw View Post
Thanks for the responses on this. I alreay have a dx so I guess it does not matter.

I had a couple of lesions on my brain MRI this summer. One old and one new. I am surprised nothing showed on the spine MRI because I do have the MS hug and my lower body is much more affected than my upper.

It just made sense that a lesion might be somewhere along my spine. But,,,,this is just a weird thing I guess.

My comment about not needing a MRI for them to figure this out (once dx) was really meant for others (without dx) who may misunderstand that they could (possibly) draw conclusions based on symptoms alone. Once we are dx (which you are), then they often make assumptions about what's going on with us MS-wise, without doing MRI's that prove it.

I had given some information on an earlier thread about the hug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
The hug, which can cause breathing difficulty, could be as a result of a pseudo exacerbation (due to over-heating, etc.), or it as part of an attack. However, the hug is a symptom of spinal damage/lesions and requires that we have damage in this area (not the brain).

It is a sensory symptom (paresthesia), and occurs as a result of a spasm in our intercostal (rib) muscles. While it may FEEL like we can’t breath or like we are having a heart attack, it does not actually impede our breathing. In and off itself, I am not aware that the hug can cause us to go unconscious or require that we go on a breathing machine for five days. That is why I am particularly concerned about Bob’s experience.

http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms/a/ms_hug_pain.htm

L'hirmettes is another sign of spinal lesions. Some of the other symptoms we get can come from either brain or spinal lesions . . . but I won't go into each of them.

I am a bit surprised they only did a T spine MRI, LA. L'hirmettes is a C-spine problem, and (I think) the hug is too. Why didn't they do the C-spine at the same time?

Also . . . bear in mind that spinal lesions can be sneaky, with or without contrast. The contrast is just to help spot active inflammation . . . but I don't think using it makes a difference with regard to actually spotting damage easier (I might be wrong, but I don't think so). However, spinal lesions can be very small, and unnoticable on a MRI, but still cause problems.

I might ask for another MRI, but only if he will request the C-spine too. At the end of the day . . . it probably doesn't matter one way or another though.

Cherie