View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I dont know where in the spine or brain the rib banding/Hug comes from, but I've had this symptom off and on for years.

I almost believe that my MS has been around for a couple of decades because now I know what was causing rib pain that I think I might have had in the early 90s...long before I had mononucleosis (which is what I thought triggered the MS) I'm not sure if I'm remembering that right or not tho.

I'm pretty sure the banding/Hug is caused by spasticity. It's your intercostal muscles (the muscles that hold the ribs together) spasming. It can mild to really really painful. (been there, done that on the really painful...years ago when I had no idea what it was)

Has your doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer or antispasmodic for you? My doctor gave me Baclofen. (an antispasmodic) It works pretty good, but mine never totally takes away the pain for me because I cant stand the way I feel when I take it full strength. Knocks me out, and makes me feel like my brain doesnt work correctly. I always break the pills in half, and then break the halves in half. Then, if I feel like I need more, I can take another 1/4 pill instead of popping a whole Baclofen.

One reason why I do that, other than feeling weird when taking it full strength, is because sometimes I'm taking something else, like a Midrin for a migraine, or something else. The whole doubling up on meds that make you sleepy is how Heath Ledger died, so I usually try not to take another type of med if I'm taking something for another problem.

If your doctor hasnt offered you a Rx for an antispasmodic, ask him for one. It's not fun to be in pain.

I totally understand the whole insomnia thing...stupid insomnia has really been making me angry lately. I've had problems with insomnia for years...at least since my uncle died in 1995. At least now I have some explanation for it. If it's the MS causing it, it's probably one of my more troubling symptoms.

Ok, gotta go, I think my Trazodone (sleep med, I only took 1/4 of a pill) just started to kick in, because I'm yawning nonstop now and my eyes are telling me to close them now.

laters......*thunk!* (head bangs into keyboard)

let's hope I fall asleep for real and stay asleep till sometime about 7hrs from now
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote