View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Gromlily

Gromlily

Default I'm a day late and a dolar short, as usual...

Ohhh! I meant to ad my experience to the list but didn't get to it in time!!
Supose it would help now??? Oh well , I'll add my experience just in case it helps others..

1.How was it right after surgery? Great, I was pain free on that side Day of? still good, medicated The first couple days? some difficulty breathing, hoarse voice, weak, but up and about as per Dr.'s orders

2.What was it was like when you left the hospital? A very painful ride home!! Take a pillow with you to hold against you for the ride!!!!

3.What was it like getting around? Slow and easy

4.What did you need help with? ie. how steady were you, how well could you take care of yourself? Help going to the bathroom? Showering/bathing? I did fine, showered the 1st day without help,etc.

5.Did you need help with the incision at all? Anyone just have incisions above and below the collarbone? Incision was above the collar bone, it was o.k. drain was in chest and had to be drained daily, needed help with that, bandage changed daily, easy stuff.

6.How did you manage pain? Did you need ice a lot? Great pain meds!!! Ice and heat.

7.What was it like the first couple of days? difficulty breathing and constipation were the worst, also had to sleep in a recliner because laying falt on my back made breathing difficult.

8.The first week? Same, began massaging neck and surgical site muscles, had drain taken out

9.The second week? still very weak, massaging muscles in neck and at incision

10.a month post op? still very tender and sore, very weak.

11.two months post op? etc.? same

12.How did you deal with meals, dishes, laundry, shopping? Did you use public transportation? No, under DR.'s orders did none of the above, had to have help.

13.How active were you, ie. walking around? walked to get back strength, that was about it, that and p.t.

14.What kind of tools did you use to make it easier for yourself? Any tips/suggestions? lots of ice packs, so one is always cold, squisshy pillows, Edglow p.t., hot baths, loose fitting clothes, no pullovers.

Thanks so much for any input. I really appreciate it.
Nidia Good Luck and Speed healing !!
G~

--
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote