View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esecallum View Post
Could you please report or continue to report your progress using the home made IR helmet?
It's been awhile since I last posted. My current status is that I've moved away from a helmet design to a single light source that I position at desired locations on my head .. basically I sit in front of the lamp and move around as needed. I also use it on my shoulder to reduce the pain from a rotator cuff injury that occurred a few years ago. The lamp is a 50 watt halogen spot bulb GE # 90633 rated for a 2500 hours life. I believe the lamp cost about $7 from Lowes.

The trick is to select out the desired wavelengths. I used a 3" diameter PVC pipe about 1.5 inches deep, sealed both ends with Plexiglas and silicon sealant and then filled the tube with water. This will limit the longer wavelength to about 1300 nm. In order to keep much of the visible light out I added some red food coloring to the water. The overall bandpass is approximately 600 nm to 1300nm. Clearly not limited to the 1072 nm that Dougal was using so we're not quite there yet. I've order a glass filter which is taking a few months to arrive to reduce the band pass down to a range from 1000 nm to 1300nm.

I irradiate myself in different locations for 5 minutes at a time. Frankly the results to date are mixed. I see no change in symptoms in my main problem which is a condition known as Central Ataxia , but some relief in shoulder pain.

Hopefully after I get closer to the desired wavelengths the results will improve somewhat.

I tried to post a picture of the device but could not simply "cut and paste". Maybe someone could suggest a simple way to add a photo.
artman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote