View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 02:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Oh I hate it too

I hate it when people way things like, "Smile, it's not so bad," to someone who's depressed.

And "choosing" to be depressed? Not quite so simple. As someone who has suffered from depression in various forms for 30 years and has spent some serious time in therapy, let me just add:

1. You can control your thoughts and your thoughts can control your moods. But a person in the depths of depression cannot just "think happy thoughts" at that moment and begin to feel better.

2. You need medication, prescribed and monitored by good psychiatrist montly (just taking zoloft prescribed by your GP is NOT sufficient!!).

3. You need cognitive behavior therapy. This type of therapy is key; It helps you to change your learned behaviors.

But, you have to be willing to examine your behavior honestly and be willing to admit there may be room for improvement.

After 30 years I continue on a hi-dose of anti-ds, but have finished therapy. My depression, which had been deep and constant for almost 3 years has totally lifted and I only have occasional low days.

Changing my thinking patterns did make a huge difference in my life, but it wasn't as simple as thinking good thoughts. It was a long, hard, drawn out process. But it was worth the effort!

I'm still walking upright and six feet above ground.
Catch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote