View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 11:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing42 View Post
NEVER ACCEPT A NEGATIVE PROGNOSIS FROM ANYBODY, ESPECIALLY FROM A HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL!
You got that one right !
Six weeks ago (Sept 3rd, 9-3-06) one of my sons broke his neck and was diagnosed as a 'paraplegic''. "He would never be able to move, and probably would never be able to breathe on his own again". That's what the docs (surgeon) said on Sept 5th after the surgery to replace his cervical disc (C-5) and remove the burst fragments compressing his spine.

I refused to believe it, and refused to have him told all that crap.
He's now out of Shock Trauma, in a rehab hospital, can move his arms, breathes without the vent or oxy assist, and will have his 'trache' removed in a week or two. He can swallow and is on solid (kinda ) food. He almost has his electric wheelchair 'driver's license' (he negotiated 10 cones ) - and moved his knees ever so slightly together, yesterday- in a therapy session.

He asks if he'll ever be able to use his hands or if he'll
be able to walk out of there.
We keep telling him that :
"That's what they'll keep working with you on - in OT & PT.
We'll see what you can regain as the swelling in your spinal column subsides."

Each day, a new skill or movement is detected and is a cause for hope.
Hope for him and for all of us who love him so dearly.
His doc is a 'straight shooter' who pulls no punches and tells it 'like it is'-
but he doesn't really give us a cause for hope. He's on the worst case scenario track- serious & honest.
We have to look past that, he doesn't want us to be dissapointed or give false hope - but I believe that my son will do better & IS doing better than what was first told to us.