View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb View Post
mike,
I don't have the answers to your questions. However, i want to ask you is your arthritis caused by RSD. How did your doc treat you with your rheumatoid artritis?
Numb
I doubt the Rheumatoid Arthritis was caused at all by the RSD. This systemic disease is generally part of a person’s make-up genetically, like whether one will develop baldness, or have green eyes. It often shows up when we are children or teens, but some will not see it until later, like me.

This is totally different from osteoarthritis which most people associate with “wearing out” joints. Roofers get it in their knees; typists get it in their fingers, etc. I suppose that type of arthritis might be connected to RA, but I really don’t know. The cause and treatment is completely different.

After having a couple of Rheumatologists shrug their shoulders, I found one who is ambitious enough to dig in and try to find a treatment. Currently, I am on one of the more standard drugs for RA – methotrexate. She started with a low dose, but I am now at maximum. She now has added Plaquenil, but it is not really doing anything.

The next step is what she calls the “big guns” – which will be Biologic Response Modifiers. This makes me nervous. Not only do they have some nasty potential side effects (severe swelling, weakness, cancer, TB) but they also call for frequent sticking. They are administered subcutaneous injection, muscle injection, or intravenous infusion.

I am currently waiting a decision of “medical necessity” from the insurance company, and then the choice gets thrown back to me.

Like Debby mentioned, I am one a multitude of pain killers already anyway, so nothing was added for the RA. I am taking oxycodone regularly, with endocet and/or ultracet for break-through pain, depending on the severity. I also have 800 mg of ibuprofen three times a day for joint swelling. These are all just fly swatters against the dragon.

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote