Thread: I got the call
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 03:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default short notice!

Tracy, congrats! I hope this is the beginning of much pain relief for you! Is there someone who can post for you after surgeries to let us know you are OK?

I'm surprised that they are doing both sides so close together! I hope you have ample help at home. To prepare for the surgery, I'd have my lungs in the best shape possible: no smoking; walk daily to keep the circulation up; breathe deeply, also for relaxation (I KNOW you are nervous!!); eat well.

In the hospital, you will need a heating pad, and someone to remove it occasionally. When I was alone, I had it cranked up to high and nobody noticed it for days - almost cooked myself! I used that on my back, while I prefered ice on my incision areas. Hospital should provide you with ice and heating pad. Cold drinks also helped a lot - and serbet/ice cream. I developed a frozen Coke addiction Also if the nurses allow it, try to walk the halls - it's important to keep circulation going and lungs clear. You may be getting PT in the Hospital too.

Once home, rest, rest, rest. Watch that posture, go to PT as directed, use ice/heat, and take your meds ON TIME. That's very important in pain control. Keeping a steaady level of meds in your system is better than waiting till you are in pain (like sleeping thru a dose). I also had to write down when I took my meds, as 5 min later I'd forget. Keep a pain/pill journal.

I'm sure others will have loads of good advice for you.

YEAY PROGRESS!
Anne

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote