View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 04:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default more revelations...

I over did it on the fat this morning which in combo with some crackers, took my blood sugar up to 7.2. Couldn't get meds to kick in but I can get rid of my tremor by taking benzodiazapines. Took some extra PD medsand was afraid of dyskinesia.....but noticed that my blood sugar levels were coming down very slowly, because thats what happens with fat (and protien). Do the sinemet which has a relativley short half life, was all used up before any significant drop. Therefore ...no dyskinesia. My next hypothosis is: you do not have to have high blood glucose readings to have these problems....you just need to have the fluctuations. People who have more of a problem with dyskinesia are more likeley to be Hypoglycemic (blood sugar drops below healthy levels). You have the fluctuations but yours tend to be on the lower end of the scale. ANY TIME YOUR BLOOD SUGAR IS NOT EVEN YOU WILL RUN INTO PROBLEMS!!! The name of the game is keep your blood sugar as close to even as possible, and you will have a hard time doing that without a good diabetic type diet to follow. The glycemic index is fine for carbs, but we also eat and need protien and fat. You cannot do this just by guessing.
My PD is tremor dominant and I can kill it of with benzodiazapine class drugs, I have both Clonazipam and clobazam. (one of them is an unfinished perscription I threw in the freezer a year and a half ago, it pays to save the extra's). I am still reading like a crazy person, but the brain is only one of the places oxidative stress takes place. From what I've read about the high incidence of diabetes and other blood gluscose disorders among people with PD, there is a good to excellent chance that 50-70% of the people on this forum can benefit from this information. All Rick and I can do is swear that it works for us. The more I learn the more the pieces fall in place for me. In the last few days I understand my PD much better than I ever have in 10 years. The tough part is going to be to convince your medical people to humor you and let you be tested for high/ low blood sugar. But even if your in the range considered normal, just the fact that your blood fluctuates can cause your medication to work or not work, to cut out in amazingly short moments, or to throw you into heavy dyskinesia. Try fasting for a day to put yourself on an even BS level and if you are not impressed then ignore us....but if you find a benefit in it, then you may be one of the lucky ones who can have your quality of life improved. I KNOW we are onto something. Knowledge is Power!
rosebud is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote