View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I used to tutor the homeless - are children guilty because of their parent's path? Single parent, no job or not very good jobs, so many expenses, drugs and alcohol often used to "self-medicate" pain (emotional and physical.) Mental illness, lack of support. We may all know someone with MS and other contributing factors who are homeless or very close to the edge.

If I did not have DH's paycheck, how the heck would I live on my SSDI!!!!!!!! It's sometimes hard to land in a safety net when falling, not too many effective nets out there anyway. Behaviors learned, Goes on and on and on. I have no answers, just tears. I think "there but for the grace of God, go I". It's not hard to fall over the edge. Extreme Make-over only saves 1 family a week, and don't forget short new season and re-runs. But at least they make a difference in one family's lives.

At the food kitchen next to where I tutored the homeless, the ex-homeless worker came out to make sure my kids got an apple from a contribution. He made us cry and we honored his gesture by accepting it, though my kids neither liked or needed apples. At 7 they knew to say just thanks. They do have respect for others.
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (03-27-2008), kinch52 (03-30-2008), Kitty (03-27-2008), sugarboo (03-27-2008), Twinkletoes (03-30-2008), Victorya (03-27-2008)