Old 03-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default dental infection

Hi Neuromess,

You are very welcome, glad to be of some help to you ~'.'~

Your occlusion <bite> can be off from many things. One of the most common reasons is due to having ongoing dental work over the course of several years where the bite has had to be adjusted and readjusted to accomodate new work. This is why if someone needs to have alot of dental work, it is best if it can be done within a few months time as the bite will not need to have so many readjustments. The second most common reason the bite can be off is due to periodontal disease. With this disease, the infection causes the gums to become inflammed which signals the ligaments to swell which causes the teeth to shift out of their natural spot. This disease also causes bone loss which cause the teeth to become loose and again shift out of their natural spot. The third reason is tooth grinding or habitual clenching. Both of these habits cause irritation to the periodontal ligaments <these ligaments hold the teeth in the jawbone> which in turn cause the teeth to shift out of place. Teeth only have to move a millimeter or two to create an unnatural bite pattern.

You mention infection in your lower teeth...... Do you have abcessed teeth and/or periodontal disease?? Not to alarm you but to inform you...... neither of these types of infections are going to be "cured" by any amount of antibiotics. The meds may temporarily subside the symptoms, but the symptoms will return over and over again because the infection will still linger under the gums/within the teeth. The problem with taking repeated doses of antibiotics is that the bacteria eventually becomes insensitive to it and then new/different strains of bacteria develop.

The other thought to consider is any long standing infection in the mouth <periodontal disease and/or abcesses> will cause bone loss. The lower jaw is very narrow <in width> to begin with. So if you are considering the placement of dental implants, at least in your lower jaw to hold in a denture, the bone will need to be very healthy or the implants will fail.

Your dry mouth etc....... could be autoimmune related. Have you been tested for Srojens disease or thyroid disorder?

I saw on another post that you mentioned you were getting hot flashes. You are the prime age <50's> for menopausal symptoms which are not uncommon in women without their uterus. Even though you had a hysterectomy, your hypothalmus gland will always be producing hormones. You could have an imbalance that may be contributing to your dry eyes, etc.

I know..... lots of information to swallow here. I don't mean to sound matter of fact...... I just want to provide you with information that might help you along this journey!!

Look forward to hearing from you,
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromess View Post
wow thank you bryanna. you are a wealth of knowledge!

right now between my permanent upper bridge and untold dental work through the years, my bite is already off quit a bit. that and tooth grinding sometimes at night.

even though an upper won't fit well with my lower natural teeth, i can't imagine it could be worse than what i have now as far as bite. i'm hoping i can ride my natural lowers a bit longer as long as the infection is cured. i have 2/500mg rounds of amoxycillin to kill the infection.

knowing i'll have to get another upper denture when i ultimately do the lowers down the road. without implants, i don't think i dare going with a lower.

those pins causing rsd, really scared the crap out of me!

in addition to a neuro muscular problem, i also have a very dry mouth (ears and eyes too) which probably contributed to the sudden collapse of my dental health. i'm hoping the neuro muscular doctor can pinpoint what the problem is.

but i'm pretty sure the dentist is correct and they have to come out. i've been on borrowed time with them for quite awhile.

i wish i had known i had an infection and it had been going on awhile. they did the 360 deg xrays and that's what they said they saw. i'm used to abcessed teeth (usually on a w/e!) but not used to a whole mouth infection. i know my teeth feel slimey even after brushing, but no bad odor or taste. and my gums sting. could that be the infection?

the reason i ask, is if i decide to stall a bit for financial or cosmetic reasons. how will i know if the infection is actually gone?

thanks so much for your help, and yes i will let you know what i decide to do and the outcome.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote