View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

"The truly handicapped of the world are those who suffer from emotional limitations that make it impossible to use the capacities and controls they possess. If you have a chronic disease, you need not be emotionally handicapped if you continually strive to be able-hearted. Able-heartedness is within the grasp of all of us. I don't think of able-heartedness as a permanent, static state, however. Developing and maintaining this quality is a process that ebbs and flows, depending on how helpless you feel. Even if you feel in the grip of hopelessness, you are behaving in an able-hearted way by any expression of interest in another. Shared interest and compassion is what establishes meaning and purpose in life.

Cherish The Good Times

The last skill I would commend to you is to pay attention to the positives. This can only be done if you have already mastered the skill of living fully in the present moment. You go through every twenty-four hours with enough of yourself available to the world that when something positive happens you let it in. There was a rainbow yesterday. There may have been an interesting interaction between you and the grocery clerk, or you had a close, warm exchange with someone you care about. These are the kind of positive moments I mean."

I really like these parts from the article because they are exactly what I have been practicing over the last few months. Alot has changed for me due to changing my way of thinking about myself. As I had said previously, the impossible can become possible just by adopting a healthier way of thinking about yourself.

I am currently posting from overseas. For the first time since my PN, I am actually on an overseas trip!!

I seem to have broken the downward spiral of negative emotion that had engulfed me for over 3 years since I got sick. This trip was completely out of my reach mentally until I read a book with very similar ideas and messages about adapting a positive outlook as the above article. I can say it changed my life, but what it really did is renew my desire to give myself a life. Though I still have PN, I am now looking forward to the future and I see myself in it being happy.

Cheers
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pono (03-29-2008)