Thread: Holiday Recipes
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Since Dh just requested this for Thanksgiving (and its not even Halloween yet ) I thought it might be safe to post

Not that there's any real secret to it.

3-4 jewel or ruby sweet potatoes
2-3 white sweet potatoes
1 large yellow onion
3 stalks of celery
Equivalent of 1 sliced bell pepper, brightly colored

Peel and cut sweet potatoes into bite sized chunks (large bite size) Cut off the top and bottom of the (peeled) onion, quarter it then cut into thirds. Slice the celery into finger tip sized chunks. Toss into long baking dish, sprinkle with grapeseed oil and season with garlic/salt whatever else you like. (I think it would be *great* with some jalapenos or something, but, I have at least one 'picky' kid)

Roast at 425* for half an hour, turn down to 375* for another 45 minutes to an hour, or longer. I like the sweet potatoes to carmelize a bit. You do need to stir every so often with a metal spatula or they stick and look icky when you serve.

I usually use small sweet potatoes, so adjust if you've got monster sized . The measurements are obviously forgiving. I also like to throw in some pre steamed beets (I get tired of peeling, I love the "open, pour" ability.) :P And I like them...the juice stains some of the sweet potatoes, they add interest etc. Dh prefers without. Dd doesn't mention them either way. I keep thinking carrots or parsnips would go well too.
mistofviolets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote