View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 08:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymedic View Post
MILD NEURAL FORAMINAL STENOSIS AT L4-5 AND L5-S1
MILD DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE WITH POSTERIOR PROTRUSIONS (APPROX 2-3MM) AT L4-5 AND L5-S1.

What TX (treatment) should I push for? What should I expect? All my main doctor has done is just dope me up on pain medications...
Sounds like it is the old 'wear and tear,' part of the ageing process. In your case maybe a bit earlier because of contributing activities.
Pain meds help but don't stop the cause, and only mask the pain-if you're lucky. Sometimes they can't do that.
I have the same sort of thing in my neck. I'm 63, but had the problems for at least 10 years-it just sneaks up.
I relied on handfuls of pain meds for years, then learnt about Mersyndol, which was better as it helps relax muscles. Then it was on to the NASAIDS, until the good ones were taken away.
I then asked for a referral to a pain consultant, and that lead to getting steroid facet joint injections. Have had 6 now, and I know where the pain is being caused.
My next one is in a month and I'm getting virtually the entire neck done!
Even with these injections, complained to the doctor that I couldn't sleep, waking every 40 mins or so. He prescribed Mobic, which I've been on for 2 weeks. And it seems to have made a huge difference. Along with the injections, I'm now pretty well pain free, and sleeping much better.
So it looks like the Mobic has made a big difference, as the injections alone weren't enough.
You might also inquire about using Mobic.
Also, it may take a while with the injections to find which procedure to follow and where to inject.
Peter B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote