Thread: I got the call
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 10:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What I found helpful:

Stock up the freezer beforehand with frozen meals. My mom made a huge batch of chicken and noodles while I was in the hospital - it was wonderful, fed us for days. If anyone asks how they can help, don't turn them away - a meal or ride to and from Dr's appt is a real help - and they wouldn't offer if they didn't mean it! Stock up on some good videos and books,too.

Pack socks and slippers - hospitals are cold, and you'll want slippers when you're up walking around to prevent slips and falls. Shave legs the night before as you likely won't care to do so afterwards for awhile.
I usually bring peanuts, raisins, some chocolate as I never know what "surprises" hospital food has in store, or in case I'm hungry between meals.

Be sure to ask for extra pillows to place under your arm, scapula and wherever else you need to make you comfortable(I brought my own!).
You may also want to bring your own stool softener/laxative if you have problems getting your bowels started after surgery, usually they won't release you until a BM has been "produced". My own are more effective for me than what they give me to take for some reason.

For me, heat felt good over the plexus area, but I wanted ice on the incision. It's whatever feels best to you. But if there's any suggestion of RSD, ice is STRONGLY discouraged. To wear home and while recovering, drawstring "sweats" like pants, and blouses or sweaters that zip or button (no tiny buttons) rather than pull over your head are most practical (and least painful).

Hope some of this is useful, keep what is, ignore the rest!

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote