View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 01:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Agree with Stiffnecked and Gloria,

Just wanted to say I had an NS do both of my cervical fusions. The reason being is that the C3/C4 (had that done first) is a very serious level (phrenic nerve). If I have to have surgery on the lumbar, however, I would probably use the OSS within the same group. But the bottom line is...if the pain is that bad where you had to quit your job (I did too...retired), then something has to be done. Conservative measures are all well and good but they won't fix what is going on (bone spurs, arthritis, etc.).

And I don't regret my fusions either. Sure there is some residual pain but nothing as horrific as it used to be. As most people know, once you have this done there is no going back and your neck is changed forever. However, as Gloria said and in reflecting back, I am very glad I did it. The pain I have now or rather spasms from time to time, I can work with. The other...prior to any surgery was the worst pain I have ever had in my life. And when I say a 10 on the pain scale...I mean a definite 10...every day for 3 years straight! I have said it before and I will say it again. You could not see the nerve roots at the C3/C4; they were crushed with OA. I thank God to this day that the second NS I saw performed surgery immediately. So, there you have it...NOTHING would have fixed that short of surgery.

If your Ortho doc is suggesting a fusion...I would REALLY listen to him.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote