View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Like Mama Used to Make

Funny, there are certain meals and dishes that just HAVE to be made a certain way--the way my Mom made them when I was growing up.

Meat loaf is made with oatmeal (not crackers or bread crumbs). It has onions in it, and it does not have tomatoes dumped on it. It's baked in a bowl. And it's served with baked potatoes.

Cole Slaw doesn't have carrots, raisins, or other alien life forms. It is cabbage, sugar, vinegar, mayonnaise (not miracle whip) and pepper.

Creamed tuna goes on toast, not crackers. Same with dried beef gravy.

Pie crust is made with lard.

The only sandwich you put margarine on is an onion sandwich. White bread, margarine, slices of onion, and salt. Not butter, margarine. We called it butter, of course. There was butter (margarine) and "real butter" (butter) which we had on special occasions, such as when my grandmother brought homemade rolls.

Those are just a few to get you started. I'll probably think of more, since Bob is watching the Diners and Dives guy, and food is in the air. So, what did your Mama used to make?

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bobbi (03-30-2008)