View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Dahlek:

But what do you do when you are the only person who thinks this way.

I have a son who I haven't seen in over 4 years. He became a compulsive gambler, lives 3000 miles away,has this personality disorder, that disorder, but manages to be very self sufficient, exist in his own vacuum and be on welfare. He says that life owes him. He was in an accident at age 14 that left him with scars on his forehad. They have faded now but of course that can scar you emotionally and mentally.

so I was thinking yesterday, maybe I should be loving (how much more loving I could be, I have no idea), and understanding. So I wrote him and gently asked how his depression was going. He's on all sorts of meds for anxiety and depression but he has to control everything and everybody in his surroundings. That's how most compuslive gamblers are. I belong to Gamanon and have learned MUCH from that organization.

So I wrote him a nice e-mail, not preachy or anything but from an interested mom (just like I've been doing for over 4 years).

This is what he wrote me just now.

"Scars are still there, but thats the least of my problems. I hate life because luife sucks. If life was so great then I would not be depressed. Life sucked way before I went into the window and it stills sucks.

Love
Frank"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what can a mom do when she has a son who talks like this all the time. He's in therapy, has case managers who he can go to and I speak to them but they have never met a case like my son. They know he has been diagnosed with Aspergers disorder but they never saw a case like him.

I could have let this destroy me but I have to survive and take care of Alan. I was a mom for 25 years but I can't be a mommy any more. My son told me a long time ago, he would come home as long as he doesn't have to work and we could take care of him. You don't want to know what my response to him was!!!

Sorry to go off the neuropathy topic but you guys give such great advice and once in a while it's nice to talk about other stuff. I promise not to stray any more.

Melody
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote