View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karousel
I am looking for the positive and negative aspects of having them as pets. Any information to share?
I've only been raising guineas piggies for 2 years, so I don't know much. they are friendly, and squeaky, and hoppity, and excitable when food arrives.

I feed them twice a day, at dawn and dusk, and they greet me with much chittering and bopping about.... I love it, because it makes me feel needed.

I raise them for sale, and have 22 right now, in large home-made cages, under an airy outdoor palapa. (I live in the tropics)

it can be difficult to tell guineas apart when they're very young (and you'd probably WANT to get them young, so you bond to them better)

so, if you're buying two, the chances are good, you might end up with one of each sex, and then... nature will take its course.

guineas are noisy about it, and the pursuit can get a little rowdy at times, it looks like fighting to a young child, and sometimes the female gets bitten... (sexist pigs, argh!)

then, you need to separate them right away, as an aggressive male may harm a female.

their young are born ready to travel with the pack, fully-furred, and able to eat solid foods almost immediately.

you may run into trouble if there's a big litter, as mama might not be able to feed them all.

so far, I've only lost one mama in childbirth (actually, three days later, with all her babies dying as well) and it made me cry, as guineas are very sweet...

it appears that the mom retained a baby (didn't fully deliver) and that caused the difficulties.

but otherwise, all the mating and birthings have gone well... eight litters so far...

I feed them vegetables scavenged from the sellers at the market.

they like broccoli leaves, carrot greens, carrot sticks, celery leaves, (sticks too, but they must be cut slant-wise, as the strings might give difficulty, and possibly choking.) cabbage leaves, Chinese cabbage, bok choy, beet greens, spinach leaves, and even bean sprouts... experiment, and have fun!

this site recommends AGAINST bok choy and cabbage, but my guineas love it, and get it every day, and eat every bite.

every morning, I remove any scraps they didn't eat, and give them fresh hay, and rabbit pellets (guinea pellets aren't available here) and change their drip bottle's water.

and I give them salt wheels (plain, not mineral), and have learned to use a feeding dish that hooks FIRMLY onto the cage wall, otherwise... they knock it over, and that wastes the pellets.

one thing you should know, guinea pigs make special poops, with partially undigested food, which they NEED for good nutrition, and they save them, using their little paws to carefully place the poop pellets into their feed dishes, to save and eat later.

that grosses some people out a bit, but it's no big deal, after a while. this site explains about the Caecotrophs:

hope that helped!

good luck with your guineas.