View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyqz_2007 View Post
After being used to living in the country with a lot of yard for my flowers etc. I am going crazy about not being able to plant anything here at my small apartment in Houston! Is there any kind of hanging flowers and/or container flowers that would do well in this awful heat we have? I have a small area in front that I have put birdfeeders and a birdbath and would like to add some kind of color.

The problem I have been running into is so far is everything that I have liked and wanted to get I've been told wouldn't do well because of the sun/shade situation. We only get about an hour or 2 of direct sun in the front but it is the hot evening sun and very little shade at that time. I would need something that would go well in shade/bright light. (I think?) Something that needs full sun or full shade wouldn't work. What I would really like is something that would attract the hummingbirds and butterflies. Maybe what I want and what would do well are 2 different things...I dunno. lol

I would appreciate any input I could get. If y'all can make sense of this. LOL

Thanks,
Susan
Do you have a place you can hang baskets? There are lots of plants that you can put into hanging baskets that attract butterflies.

Hummingbirds love anything that is red. A hanging basket with petunias would attract them and then you can put a humming bird feeder along side it. Petunias do well in the heat and there are several different kinds that do not require any deadheading. Verbena does well in the heat and looks great in a hanging basket and also attracts the hummers. You can add Licorice vine, Million Bells/Calibrachoa, Ivy geranium, sweet potato vine (green does well in full sun), with different accent plants. Just some ideas for plants that do well in heat.

Have fun!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote