View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Paul Golding

Paul Golding

Hello Monica,

Quote:
Winters in Mexico are different form those in the US, in Europe or Australia.
Northern Australia also receives dangerously high levels of UV in our winter. Townsville, for example, is at altitude 19 south, so is about as far south of the equator as you are north of it. Even here in southern Queensland, on the Sunshine Coast, we have to be careful in the winter.

Quote:
As far as my skin, it is light no sooo light, but still light. I could say i am an averdage latine girl, with white skin and dark hair.
Please be very careful not to burn. I have designed a UV Index Chart to allow you to decide what time of day it is safe to have sun exposure. I will place a link to the file on a new thread on this forum.

Quote:
An other question Paul. Why do you say that if you start taking supplements, then you should do it for life???
Here is my original statement that you are asking about:

Quote:
Rather than immediately commence taking supplements, I decided to try for careful sun exposure. Remember that once you rely on supplements, for any nutritional deficiency, you are stuck with them for life. That is why I urge people to always test first, then commence treatment if necessary.
My comment should be taken in the wider context of the problem of taking supplements without a proper diagnosis of deficiency or disease. If you start taking supplements first, you face a dilemma:
  • If you stop taking them, and you did actually have a deficiency, then you will again become deficient
  • If you continue taking them, but did not have a deficiency, then you are wasting money and sometimes risk harm
By taking supplements before obtaining a proper diagnosis, you risk:
  • Losing the opportunity to use the best available tests
  • Allowing a disease to worsen by masking the true cause
A particularly serious example is the case of vitamin B12 deficiency; I will not go into detail here as it is covered in my posts on other threads.

Once you start taking vitamin D supplements, you cannot so easily test the effectiveness of safe sun exposure. This is because your body can store enough vitamin D to last for about six weeks. If you start taking supplements, and then decide to try sun exposure instead, you would need to stop taking them for many weeks to allow your vitamin D stores to deplete. So, you would need to become deficient again before trying safe sun exposure.

Paul
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote