View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 11:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
Thank you so much, Marc, for your well informed Post. As far as I'm concerned, you've hit the nail right on the head. We are @#%$#@..

Just kidding....'cause there is still HOPE that we will all find OUR cure. In the meantime, there are some good drugs out there, helping us to maintain our illness until that happens.
You're certainly welcome, I'm just trying to take a level headed approach to the cacophony of data that we are all confronted with.

As you surf around the various MS websites, you'll find that there are "evangelical" communities of patients who fervently push their own view of the disease. This evangelical fervor is especially prevalent in folks convinced that chlamydia pneumonia or Borrelia Burgdorferi are responsible for MS. You'll also find it in some patients who are convinced of some of the more far out claims (mercury amalgam fillings, diet soft drinks, etc.). The irony is, all of these groups may in fact be correct, or at least partially correct, but only for a specific subset of MS patients.

It can all be very confusing, but none of these claims should be dismissed out of hand. I am certain that chlamydia pneumonia, Borrelia Burgdorferi, and EBV all play a part in the MS story.

The problem is, by committing to a combination antibiotic protocol, the patient is denying themselves access to other disease modifying drugs. Though these drugs are far from perfect, they do have some demonstrated efficacy, and for some patients do stem the tide of the disease. It would be unfortunate for patient who might be helped by one of the current disease modifying therapies to find after two years that the combination antibiotic protocol has failed them, when one of the other drugs may have slowed their disease progression.

It's all a bit of a crap shoot.....
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (04-01-2008), Jappy (04-03-2008), Jodylee (04-01-2008), Riverwild (04-01-2008), SallyC (04-01-2008), SandyC (04-01-2008), tovaxin_lab_rat (04-01-2008)