View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 09:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Lou Gehrig's Disease vs. Stephen Hawking's

Hi..I saw a comment by Tucker that I really liked... ( Tucker nice to meet you) up in the Roll Call thread..though I did not think it was appropriate to comment back there...as it was sticky ...

Originally posted by Tucker..
i have Stephen Hawking's Desease (everybody wants to call it lou gehrig's but lets face it - he's hardly a good role model - being dead and all)*

---------------------------------------------------------------
To me this comment pretty much sums it up now ..for Gary and my attitudes...the difference to me between Lou Gehrig and Hawking..besides the obvious --vent of course...is the medical care..it was many years before Hawkings had to vent...but he received excellent medical care...
In Lou's days there were no speech computers back then , no cough assists, no early detection of secondary infections...
Sadly for many PALS this still rings true..
I'd like all PALS to receive the type of care Mr. Hawkings receives..regardless of their choice to vent...and to those who do want to vent I'd like to see better support by the medical community....for in home care...so more people will feel they have that option..Lisag

Last edited by lisag; 10-13-2006 at 12:54 PM.
lisag is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote