View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 09:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Redda,

In the book Dangerous Grains, a connection between gluten and autoimmune diseases is discussed based on "molecular mimicry". The gluten proteins leak into the blood stream and appear similar to proteins making up our own tissue. The immune system begins production of antibodies to attack the invader protein (gluten) but instead attack internal molecules that are very similar. This theory shows how gluten could be a trigger for an autoimmune disease.

Cara has put together a great resource called The Gluten File http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/ if you have not seen it scroll down the right hand side and you will find a section on gluten and neurological manifestations.

I was diagnosed with MS in 1998. I have DQ1 and have a definite increase in neurological symptoms if I eat gluten. I have been gluten free for over 3 years. I have not had an increase in lesions during this time and a few have gone away. I am not symptom free but recently did the YORK delayed food allergy tests (IGG based) and learned I have reactions to other major food groups (dairy, egg, soy, legumes, citrus, pineapple). Since I have removed these I have had a lessening in the tingling in my legs.

Do you have neurological and GI symptoms? Unfortunately, few neurologists are on board with the gluten/neurological connection.

--Judy
JudyLV is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote