View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Hello Eugene...

Did they use nitrous oxide on you for either or both procedures? Nitrous oxide has severe effects on B12 levels in the body.

Did you have a B12 level drawn?
The drugs used for stomach issues can prevent B12 from being absorbed from food. (proton pump inhibitors)

There is another treatment for H.pylori. This involves Bismuth, like that occurs in Pepto Bismol.
Typically it is used in addition to other treatments, but I have seen some reports that it is more effective.

Also different antibiotics are used:
Quote:
Afr Health Sci. 2007 Sep;7(3):143-7.Click here to read Links
Antibiotic resistance of Helicobacter pylori from patients in Ile-Ife, South-west, Nigeria.
Aboderin OA, Abdu AR, Odetoyin B, Okeke IN, Lawal OO, Ndububa DA, Agbakwuru AE, Lamikanra A.

Background: Helicobacter pylori has become recognized as a major cause of gastroduodenal diseases in man. Evidence indicates that once acquired, H. pylori persists, usually for life unless eradicated by antimicrobial therapy. Over the past few years, we have accumulated some knowledge of the epidemiology of H. pylori in Ile-Ife, South-West Nigeria. In one collaborative study, we detected H. pylori in 195 (73%) patients referred for endoscopy at Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex (OAUTHC). Furthermore we have observed a variegated gastric inflammatory response and atrophy including atrophic pangastritis but are yet to demonstrate MALToma in any of our patients. In addition we have demonstrated that dental plaque is a possible source of gastric H. pylori infection and such an endogenous source could account for difficulty in eradication leading to re-infection. Presently, infected patients are treated with standard combination therapy made up of amoxycilin and ciprofloxacin with a proton pump inhibitor/bismuth. Reports however have shown that the incidence of antimicrobial resistance in Helicobacter pylori is a growing problem and which has been linked with failures in treatment and eradication. Given this situation it has become necessary to have information about the susceptibility of isolates to particular antimicrobial agents before the selection of an appropriate treatment regimen. Objectives: More recently, we sought to study antimicrobial susceptibility of locally isolated H. pylori strains. Methods: We subjected 32 isolates to antimicrobial susceptibility testing against seven agents. Results: All the isolates showed multiple acquired antimicrobial resistance as they were all resistant to amoxicillin, clarithromycin, metronidazole, while 29/31, 27/31 showed resistance to rifampicin and tetracycline respectively. Five (15.6%) of these isolates showed resistance to ciprofloxacin. Conclusions: Our findings suggest that H. pylori strains isolated within our study environment have acquired resistance to all the commonly prescribed antibiotics. On the basis of the fiindings it would be necessary to re-evaluate the eradication treatment regime in our setting.

PMID: 18052867 [PubMed - in process]
There is resistance appearing with typical treatments. Your statements about treatment could show intolerance to some of the drugs. Metronidazole if it were used for you or Cipro can cause neuropathies in some people, Hence the burning.

This paper gives examples of different mixes of drugs for alternative attempts to treat resistant H. pylori:
Quote:
Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2008 Feb 15;27(4):346-54. Epub 2007 Nov 12.Click here to read Links
Empirical rescue therapy after Helicobacter pylori treatment failure: a 10-year single-centre study of 500 patients.
Gisbert JP, Gisbert JL, Marcos S, Jimenez-Alonso I, Moreno-Otero R, Pajares JM.

Gastroenterology Unit, Hospital Universitario de la Princesa and Ciberehd, Universidad Autónoma, Madrid, Spain. gisbert@meditex.es

BACKGROUND: Several 'rescue' therapies have been recommended to eradicate Helicobacter pylori, but they still fail in >20% of the cases, and these patients constitute a therapeutic dilemma. AIM: To evaluate the efficacy of different 'rescue' therapies empirically prescribed during 10 years to 500 patients in whom at least one eradication regimen had failed to cure H. pylori infection. METHODS: DESIGN: Prospective single-centre study. Patients: Consecutive patients in whom at least one eradication regimen had failed. Intervention: Rescue regimens included: (i) quadruple therapy with omeprazole-bismuth-tetracycline-metronidazole; (ii) ranitidine bismuth citrate-tetracycline-metronidazole; (iii) omeprazole-amoxicillin-levofloxacin; and (iv) omeprazole-amoxicillin-rifabutin. Antibiotic susceptibility was unknown (rescue regimens were chosen empirically). Outcome: Eradication was defined as a negative (13)C-urea breath test 4-8 weeks after completing therapy. RESULTS: Five hundred patients were included (76% functional dyspepsia, 24% peptic ulcer). Compliance rates with first-, second- and third-line regimens were 92%, 92%, and 95%, respectively. Adverse effects were reported by 30%, 37%, and 55% of the patients receiving second-, third-, and fourth-line regimens. Overall, H. pylori cure rates with the second-, third-, and fourth-line rescue regimens were 70%, 74%, and 76%, respectively. Cumulative H. pylori eradication rate with four successive treatments was 99.5%. CONCLUSION: It is possible to construct an overall treatment strategy to maximize H. pylori eradication, on the basis of administration of four consecutive empirical regimens; thus, performing bacterial culture even after a second or third eradication failure may not be necessary.

PMID: 17999716 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
I think for now you should treat the burning as if you had B12 deficiency.
This is simple, and not harmful. We use methyl B12 here because it is available orally and not expensive. It is the activated version the body can use more quickly and efficiently. I don't know what you have there in S. Africa.
You should start with 5mg orally daily for at least 3 months. If you improve you can cut back to 1mg daily.
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=117

I think you need further medical care. Something is not right here.
Quote:
J Dig Dis. 2007 Nov;8(4):211-5.Click here to read Links
The efficacy of bismuth containing quadruple therapy as a first-line treatment option for Helicobacter pylori.
Uygun A, Kadayifci A, Safali M, Ilgan S, Bagci S.

Department of Gastroenterology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey.

BACKGROUND: Helicobacter pylori eradication rates have tended to decrease recently, mostly due to increasing antibiotic-resistance. The present study aimed to compare the efficacy of bismuth-based quadruple regimen with proton pump inhibitor-based triple regimen for eradication of H. pylori. METHODS: Consecutive H. pylori-positive patients with non-ulcer dyspepsia were randomized into one of two regimens: (i) bismuth subsalicylate 300 mg q.i.d., lansoprazole 30 mg b.i.d., tetracycline 500 mg q.i.d. and metronidazole 500 mg t.i.d. (BLTM group) for 14 days; (ii) lansoprazole 30 mg b.i.d., amoxicillin 1 g b.i.d and clarithromycin 500 mg b.i.d. (LAC) for 14 days. Gastroscopy and (14)C-Urea breath test (UBT) were performed before enrollment, and UBT only was repeated for 6 weeks after treatment. RESULTS: A total of 240 patients were randomized into groups and 212 of them completed the protocols. The 'intention-to-treat' (ITT) and 'per protocol' (PP) H. pylori eradication rates were 70% (95%CI 61-78) and 82.3% (95%CI 74-89) in the BLTM group, and 57.5% (95%CI 48-66) and 62.7% (95%CI 53-71) in the LAC group. The BLTM treatment achieved a significantly better eradication rate compared with LAC treatment in PP analysis (82.3% vs. 62.7%, P = 0.002). Mild to severe side-effects, which were more frequent in the BLTM group, were reported in 18.2% of the patients. CONCLUSION: The bismuth-based quadruple regimen achieved a better eradication rate compared with proton pump inhibitor-based triple regimens as a first-line eradication option for H. pylori in our population.

PMID: 17970879 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
I personally don't like it when doctors label people "anxious" when there is a clear history of no symptoms before a procedure. There may be a reason you started with burning after having the polyps removed. It seems clearly connected to me, somehow. I also do not know your culture, as to how to
suggest you get better care. But I think you need a more thorough doctor, one who can see the whole picture, not just parts of it.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ejcronje (04-02-2008)