View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default oral surgery

Hi Jon,

Well you are certainly welcome..... glad to be of some help to you!

If I remember correctly, you are having dental implants placed to help retain a denture. There may or may not be a need to place bone graft material. It all depends on how thick and solid your existing bone is in the places they want to put the implants. The condition of the bone can be seen pretty well on the radiographs that they have already taken, so they should have some idea of what they are dealing with. Sometimes, the bone looks a bit different once the incision is made an the area is exposed. Did they talk to you about your options with the bone graft material? There are various types, some are synthetic from things like coral calcium and others are from cadaver sources. Generally, a surgeon prefers to use one over the other, but it depends on the circumstances of the case. If they haven't already discussed this with you, then please ask them to inform you of what they will be using before they start the procedure. Make sure that they know about your full health history and the PN, etc.

You mentioned "moving nerves" during the surgery. Please do not be concerned about this. I really cannot think of any reason why that would occur. They may be concerned about nicking a nerve in the mandible canal of the lower jaw but generally they don't place implants in that area of the mandible. There are lots of nerve fibers everywhere, but they regenerate quickly providing your immune system has the ability to heal them. But don't stress about that at all..... it will be ok!!

I wish you could feel more confident about the work you are having done and about those who are doing it! This is a HUGE undertaking and you should have been treated better. If it's any consolation....... many private practices handle their patients similarly alot of the time. Patients often feel like they are not entitled to ask questions because it takes up too much of the dentists time. Well BS to that!! Take up his time until you feel confident in what is being proposed. Believe me...... no dentist has ever just sat willingly in the dental chair without knowing and understanding what his options were. There are times when the xrays only tell part of the story and the mouth tells another.. so not all treatment is textbook.

If you feel unsure about anything, please write down your questions and take them with you at your next appointment. Tell the dr you have some concerns and want to address them prior to starting anything because you want to go into this with a positive attitude so you come out with a good outcome!

I remember my mother going into heart surgery and saying to her surgeon.... <I have to trust that you've done this before and by now should know what you're doing. However, trade places with me for just one minute.......... pretty scary huh?> He sat down next to her and said....... <what can I do to make you feel more comfortable?> She said, <during the surgery simply reassure me from time to time that I'm doing well.> He said <you got it.> Well, after her surgery he came to me and said... <your mother did remarkably well! She had no blood loss and her arteries grafted beautifully!> He said from now on, he will always reassure his patients during their surgery because he has no doubt that it works! Such a simple thing that can make the world of difference!

Since you cannot seem to rely on your oral surgeon to do too much of any patient sensitivity stuff, you need to reassure yourself and it would be helpful if you started to do that today and every day until this whole ordeal is behind you.

Please keep us informed on how you are doing. I will certainly keep you in my prayers and I know you will be ok!!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Bryanna, thank you so very much for hearing me, for your quickness in giving me the information I badly need, and for some reassurance while I'm in this condition.

The aesthetics aren't all that important at my age. If the acrylic will allow me to eat without fear of breakage and pain, it will be acrylics!

I have PN along with other things, so I'm feeling it already when he talks about the possibility of moving a nerve, doing a bone graft, etc. I have no choice in the matter, seemingly, so again, if that's what has to be done, it will be.

Put me on your prayer list along with all the others who are surely there. I'll let you know what happens.

Again, many thanks! Jon
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote