View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I would echo the above--

-with a few other comments.

You may well be insulin resistant, but pre-diabetes/diabetes, while a common cause of small-fiber neuropathy--which, by the way, standard nerve conduction studies/EMG's will NOT detect (those can only see gross damage to larger myelinated nerves, not the smaller ones that subsume the sensations of pain and temperature)--usually doesn't present this acutely.

There's a higher likelihood of this being related to B12 deficiency. Given what you've written about the H-pylori findings, and the drugs you've taken, many of which will deplete B12 (which I suspect, for whatever reason, you're not storing well, and with that bacterial infection, probably not breaking out of food well), it would be very important to get homocysteine and methylomaic acid (MMA) tests; these are not perfect, but are far more accurate measures of your actual B12 metabolism than the serum B12 level (and yes, that 209 level is way too low).

The other thing that springs to mind is celiac/gluten sensitivity. This can cause neuropathy all by itself, or lead to it secondarily through malabsoption of B12, iron, magnesium. I notice you've not mentioned serum iron/ferritin levels having been tests--which should be done even if you are not showing signs of anemia (especially given that B12 level)--nor have you mentioned serum anti-gliadin IgG, IgA, total IgA and anti-transglutaminase IgA levels (that's a beginning in checking for gluten problems).

I'm not a doctor, but like many others here, have some experience with medical puzzles--and you haven't more than scratched the surface of possible testing yet. What I've aforementioned, based on the tests you've written about, seems a logical next step.

(Note: I also placed this post in your other thread--don't know which one you're likely to go to first.)
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote