Thread: Help!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I believe that I have some atrophy in my right thumb pad, near my wrist. I have full function of my thumb. I am experiencing body-wide muscle twitches, that started after I noticed weakness in both my right leg and arm. I have been to my GP twice and he cannot detect any clinical weakness. I had an MRI of c-spine and brain, both were clean.

2 Questions...

1. It is my understanding that the sequence of a pathological neuromuscular disease, such as ALS is profound weakness, atrophy, then twitching. So in my case, if it truly was atrophy I probably would not be able to move my thumb, or at least have limited movement.

2. If you have had a clinical exam by a GP, who says reflexes are normal and muscle strength is good, doesn't this point away from ALS. When I spoke to my GP yesterday about my MRI results, he said that I could go to a neurologist if I want. He did not say it is necessary...so I am guessing that he is doing it for piece of mind. Is that a good sign pointing away from the dreaded disease as well?

Can't most GP's pick up some signs of clinical weakness??

Thanks,

Tony
arrigoar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote