View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hey lady!

being "house poor" for the sake of holding on to something you can no longer manage makes no sense to me. i say cash in and carry on with whatever makes you happy. those that love you will benefit regardless of what they "think" now good to see you again btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinch52 View Post
I know you guys don't know me that well so, a little background before the question. Hang on, I think this is going to be long!!!

I am in a deep financial mess. Being this far in debt really stresses me out, I've always tried to live on the "if you can't afford it, don't buy it rule". But, life circumstances sometimes gets in the way.

Over the last 5 years I've gone from very comfortable to this. Part because of huge medical expenses, part bad decisions & part because in the last 3 years, I've lost two of my fur babies to cancer & one to kidney disease. My remaining dog broke the ACL in both knees last year & that was expensive. Then there's the upkeep on my house. I've charged it all & knew it was going to come up & bite me in the butt.

The breaking point is that I got a call from my Internist Monday after some tests last week & it looks like I have something funky happening in my left lung. I've had a nodule there for a year or so & we've been watching it. It's just sort of been there with no problems but it looks like it's tripled in size in the last 6 months. Am I worried about the growth, not in the least because all I care hear in my head is, oh carp, I'm going to need this test *$$$*, a biopsy *$$$$*, treatment *$$$$$*, etc.

So, I have decided to sell my house. I'm lucky in this awful housing market because I live in a very well established neighborhood that is only 11 miles from downtown Dallas. I spoke with a realtor yesterday & she said that the property values have continued to rise where I live. I can sell my house, pay off all my debt & still have a nice little nest egg left over.

To me, it makes sense. No more property taxes, home insurance, paying someone to do the lawn, constant home repairs (the house is 50 years old) & not having to worry about cleaning a 2,000 sq foot home (which is tough for a clean freak with no energy). After I sell my house, I am planning on renting an apartment so I won't have to worry about all the stuff that comes with keeping up a house.

So, here's where I need the advice. I told my daughter & SIL my plans the other night & they freaked out. My daughter cried & said I shouldn't do it because I had put so much into the house. She was also worried about the fact that I take care of my grandson when she works & that she was worried about him being in an apartment environment.....I politely told her to use daycare. My SIL said I was being rash & selfish, he had planned on his family inheriting my house when I was gone. I, again, politely said, "bite me, I'm only 55 & not dead yet & wasn't asking your permission". I know, I'm not very diplomatic.

I have made some really poor decisions in the last 5 years because of cog fog, being sick or just going with my emotions & I'm kind of scared that I'm not thinking clearly. But, I think this is a logical alternative to panicing daily over money. I can't take the stress & if I do have something seriously wrong, I would rather put my energy in to getting healthy than worrying about money.

Whew...ok, I know, long winded. So, my question is, am I being too emotional, rash & not thinking this out or am I making a logical, realistic decision? Your advice is more than welcome! I really need it.
peachyplane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kinch52 (04-03-2008)