View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb well, a light goes on!

I wanted to reply sooner. I had two awful days of pain. I just go hide. I know I pushed myself beyond limits on the week-end helping my son move, and it was time to pay.

Mrs D - you made me think (not the easiest thing) - I did have a bone density test back in October. It was one of those neighborhood screenings so they did my heel. The report said I was HIGH RISK OF BONE DIMINISHMENT. I had a heel BMD T-Score of -1.5
(t-score of any number equal to or below -1.0, consider other risk factors)
What they mean by 'other risk factors' I have no clue.

I showed my GYN the report and he put me on Fosomax 75mg. You take one pill a week.

Well, several weeks later, I was at a friends birthday lunch. The friend sitting next to me told me horror stories about Fosomax causing jaw bones to disintegrate. There was another woman at the lunch who had taken it and her jaw bone was so damaged that her dentist would not work on her teeth. I thought this was 'God's intervention'! I quit the Fosomax. I have a history of trouble with Rx's anyway.

The physical therapist for my knee told me that 'weight bearing' exercises, Vitamin D, Calcium, would do as good for building up bones. So, I determined to do weight training on upper body and increase cardio workouts.

Silverlady and Cheryl - the stretched ligaments and tendons and/or ruptured tendon makes sense if my bone density is so bad in my feet. It does feel as if by bones are collapsing.

dahlek - I do think my thyroid has much to do with all that is going wrong with me. While down and out the past few days, I read the thread by cyclelops 'Perserverance and coping' - it was the best medicine! Your comment "that seemingly unrelated conditions DO and are connected somehow" really touched me (along with the whole thread!) - I have always thought that exact thing! It was like you were speaking for me.

HeyJoe - I took a look at Charcot foot, and it does not look like mine. The lump is on top. And, Mrs. D., there is no redness or heat - just a lump on top that hurts like heck and toes feeling crushed. (like the bones are falling apart).

I am at a loss on Podiatrists. I know one Orthopedic Foot Dr. in Dallas I could see. If someone knows how to find a GOOD Podiatrist please let me know. All I have heard is about bad ones. I will try to get an appt. set with someone tomorrow for asap.

The replies to me were uplifting at a very needy moment. I want you to know they helped me 'pick myself up' and gave me a 'good direction' to go.
When your neurologist and endro just blow you off when you are trying to tell them 'something is happening here!!' - well, you know.

Thank you for turning on a light and warming me with the encouragement.

ML Schumacher
Schumacher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote