View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dahlek,

Benefiber has always worked well for me. More recently (long story) my Gastro wanted me to try Fibercon...capsules. Oh, boy, talk about bloating! Anyway, I stopped that and went right back to the good ole Benefiber. And I should add, I know taking fiber CAN cause further constipation with high doses of the opiates. I do try to eat some kind of fiber cereal too; about every other day. The deal I experienced with Miralax (prescription at the time) was that I was told to take 17 grams or whatever that capful is. I think it is 17 grams. Anyway, what a mistake that was!!! I cramped so bad I thought I would die. I kept taking it down and down and down until I was at 1/4 of a tsp. THEN it was okay. I stayed at that for about two weeks until I was sure I was fairly regulated. THEN I made the switch to Benefiber. But know also I have GERD, Gastritis and IBS. So, what I do HAS to treat both diahrea AND constipation. And I was taking the probiotic "Align". It works great too. I have just stopped it for a short while because I was trying to determine at that time if it was the Fibercon or the Align causing bloating and it was the Fibercon so I can go back to Align any time. However, I also know it causes bloating at FIRST then that goes away. It did for me as it was the first one I tried...before the Fibercon.

Ugh, I am rambling. But you are also right about walking...that will do it too! I know people have to try various things based on their conditions but the main thing with me is NO STRAINING WHATSOEVER...so anything stimulating can be bad for a number of reasons.

And last but not least, I could tell you all of a horror story....a barium enema impaction that sent me straight to the ER. And through no fault of my own; mainly due to a rectocele I have and another godawful story. To be honest, I wonder sometimes if THAT wasn't the cause of the fractured tailbone!!
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote