View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 06:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Breads, Biscuits and Muffins

I found this site with some old-fashioned recipes that I thought were cool.

I've not tried this one yet but thought I'd post it and maybe whoever tried it first can post their results.

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au...chapter35.html

Quote:
RICE BISCUITS OR CAKES.

1746. INGREDIENTS.—To every 1/2 lb. of rice-flour allow 1/4 lb. of pounded lump sugar, 1/4 lb. of butter, 2 eggs.
Mode.—Beat the butter to a cream, stir in the rice-flour and pounded sugar, and moisten the whole with the eggs, which should be previously well beaten. Roll out the paste, shape it with a round paste-cutter into small cakes, and bake them from 12 to 18 minutes in a very slow oven.
Time.—12 to 18 minutes. Average cost, 9d.
Sufficient to make about 18 cakes. Seasonable at any time.
GROUND RICE, or rice-flour, is used for making several kinds of cakes, also for thickening soups, and for mixing with wheaten flour in producing Manna Kroup. The Americans make rice-bread, and prepare the flour for it in the following manner:—When the rice is thoroughly cleansed, the water is drawn off, and the rice, while damp, bruised in a mortar: it is then dried, and passed through a hair sieve.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)

Last edited by KimS; 11-09-2006 at 08:27 PM.
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote