View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Medications for Tremors / Shaking

Alison had a minor procedure carried out last Wednesday to remove the ingrown toenail on her RSD leg
We were warned at before hand that she could experience a flare given that the previous nerve block had caused balance and coordination problems
Unfortunately they were right !!! The whole of her RSD leg now shakes and jerks uncontrollably for about one minute out of every four - we are timing it to see if it begins to subside any, but as I write it has not
Alisons consultant came to see us yesterday and was extremely concerned about the latest development
We have to ring his office on Monday morning to let him know if things are still the same and he will then admit her and try to inject drugs directly to try and slow the tremors down
The reasoning behind this is that within 20 minutes of the injection he will know whether or not the drug will be effective, rather than spending a week building up to the required doage orally only to find it is ineffective and needs to be discontinued
He has explained that there are no guarantees that any of the drugs he may try will work and that movement disorders are extremely difficult to bring under control. He has also hinted that there may be need for more drastic action further down the line if this persists long-term (eg SCS / Pump) dependant on the side effects any oral medication may have
I am also going to contact our other hospital in London to let them know about the current situation as I know they have recently treated a young girl called Jessica with similar movement disorders / RSD, through splinting and Physio, though it has taken four months as an inpatient to achieve the desired outcome
I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced something similar and found any medication that may be effective or that we can recommend to our Consultant
Many thanks
Andrea