View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

HI KD,

. I had the same thought as JO, that some of the sx sound similar to TOS. And based on how stiff you are holding yourself could be putting pressure on some of those nerves inthe cervical area and brachial plexus.

Be careful at the computer not to lapse into forward head posture. We all do it but I have to be conscious of it because prolonged periods make me sore. And make sure you have an ergonomic set up.

The spine doc I recently went did say that the higher up the injury on the spine, ie cervical the more untable your whole spine becomes and then other areas of your spine compensate for the instability and could be causing some of your leg symptoms. For example do you hurt sometimes between the shoulder balde? I do but nothing wrong with my thoracic spine. But what happens is my thoracic spine is it is a broad area and it then take the load for keeping me stable when my head is floppy (hmmmm I think floppy head affects my brain ) Just a little cervical humor there.

When it comes to the lumbar area which is probably causing your leg symptoms, try to notice in the midst of normal activites how you pelvic area is positioned. If your posture is trying to stabilize your neck you could be forcing your pelvis backward to compensate which can put you into something called kyphosis (flattening of the back curve) which will put pressure on those lower discs.

The spine and back are an amazing machine and sometimes to stabilize we dont even realize how we have to hold oursleves which is making other areas stressed.

I googled zero curve a little. Is there any kind of brace they can give you to help change the curve slowly that you could wear at home etc. Our head is heavy and those poor muscles around that area get fatigued holding it up. There is constant tension to keep the head balances. Maybe a brace intermittently would help. Maybe a zero gravity chair to relax in at night? They have some at relax the back. Or cervical pillows to sleep on to help the curve.

To hold yourself right you have to havestrong abdominals. This is my problem. I have no strength there. Makes my posture worse.

SOunds like chaning the curve will take time. And be a little uncomfortable.

One gentle thing you could try is Cranio Sacral Massage. I get nervous around chiros and neck adjustments when I read an article about if they jerk too fast they can damage the blood vessels in the area but cranio sacral helps me even if it is temporary. Although a chiro might help you with some exercises for the posture. My chiro had a contraption that changes curves that you could do at home. I will try to find the name of it. I think it cost like $300.

PT might help. Atleast they could give you some exercises to work at home. Dont let them talk you into surgery as the 1st step. Try PT and a combination of things.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (04-05-2008), kimmydawn (04-05-2008)