View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy-h View Post
Thanks, all, for sharing some of your symptoms. I have a lot of them and find my balance getting worse. Had my first fall last week but luckily only skinned my knee.

Often, and usually in the evening, my bare feet feel like they are stepping in something wet. Of course the carpet or tile is completely dry. That is a very odd feeling.

Deb - I also have to concentrate on picking up my feet when I walk and since my right foot is more painful that the left, I have a slight limp to protect it.

Well, have a good week-end all!
nancy-h
Nancy,

There is no need to have balance problems with PN, but you need therapy and practice. I fell and stumbled too about 11 years ago. Work on your balance and it will get better. I did it with Iyengar yoga and constantly practicing which I still do, but any balancing practice will retrain your brain and muscles to move appropriately with your new PN nerve impulses.

See the balance beam suggestion above in the thread and/or try yoga with a good instructor who knows your health challenges. Or get thee to a physical therapist or occupational therapist. Talk with your primary care physician or neurologist to get a referral, and be insistant if you must. Your medical insurance should pay for physical or occupational therapy.

Tripping and stumbling can stop you from getting the healing exercise you need, can cause serious injury, and doesn't help your emotions or self confidence. Please don't just accept that your balance will never be OK. You can turn this around.