Thread: Muscle Spasms
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 05:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Muscle Spasms

A Warm Hello to All!

I have had a recent exacerbation in PN. This had coincided with a two week trial of Depakote. I had an immune reaction to the Depakote (in a major way, which had started this seige of flared neuropathy. I have been off of Depakote for over 40 days now. The PN has been fluctuating. It had seemed worse ovr lsat weekend, as far as weakenss was concerne; yet, after starting 1 gram of acetyl-l-carnitine and 100 mg of CoQ10 (each daily), I had regained the muscle strength that had occurred in my legs over the past weekend. (Thank you for your suggestion, mrsD!)

I have had GI illness that doc has thought is a virus. I Am not sure if it has been a virus or a part of the PN. I have had to limit my dietary intake because of nausea, etc.

Although I had been having some muscle spasms (a few here and there), I am having them all over my body today.

If I use a muscle, thereby "flexing it a bit," it seems to cramp/spasm. I can have a few of these spasms/cramps all happening at once.

I had taken just shy of 300 mg of potassium this a.m., because the spasms were starting in the early a.m. I have also had my calcium and magnesium supplement for the ay (at noon). (I always eat one banana in the a.m, too.)

I am a bit baffled. I am wondering if I am still to short on magnesium.

I have calcium and magnesium with phyosphorus daily. Calcium is 1500mg. Magnesium is 750 mg. These are chelated. The phosphorus is 750 mg.

I have magnesium citrate on hand and am wondering if I might add some in to my supplementation?

I take morphine three times daily. I also have a Soma prescription. I hate to take them together, although the doc has okayed it/prescribed it.

I did just swallow only 1/2 of a Soma pill, because the spasms are so intense and diffuse. (Even abdominal wall muscle goes into spasm.) In just taking half, you can see my reluctance to use both meds at the same time.

I realize none of us are pharmacists and/or doctors.

Yet, any suggestions on helping the diffuse muscle spasms/cramping with minerals/other?

I appreciate any input and/or redirections!

Thanks so very much!:D
DejaVu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote