View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Arrow Be careful...

Well, I am going to say this firmly:

Do not supplement with more than the RDA of magnesium until you have testing at the doctor. (renal, parathyroid, calcium, and other electrolytes)
If you read my posts, you will find that I never suggest any magnesium over the RDA for readers here. If you decide to take more than 400mg/day you must discuss that with your doctor.

Deja--your posts are very long, but very short on useful information about yourself.

Muscle issues that continue in spite of adequate calcium/magnesium intake need evaluation. They can be do to many diseases, and parathyroid malfunctions, spinal disease, polymyositis etc.
You do not list your renal functions, so you are really shooting in the dark, with your self medication. I do not feel that you are proceeding safely.

YOu do not post your age here, or your other diagnoses which require you to be on Depakote in the first place, or morphine. The fact that you have Soma on hand implies to me that you have a reason for it. I get the feeling that you have many issues this board is not privy to.

You should not be taking extra potassium (where do you get that, for example?) without supervision. Choosing foods high in potassium is the safest way to go. Phosphorus supplements are not typically needed since it is so plentiful in the diet. If you have renal issues supplementing with it is dangerous, in fact.

Some of us here (myself included) use supplements to help heal PN, and/or control burning and improve functions. NONE of us here use megadoses of anything.

There is an alarming trend here for some people to try extreme things. I hope those who tend to do that will stop and think before continuing.

I have listed on the Medications forum, drug interactions checkers. I suggest readers and posters here visit the sticky there and look up things that they are currently taking to see if they have problems with their drugs.

This website has very good information on drug interactions with supplements/vitamins/herbs and minerals:
http://www.lib.umd.edu/guides/altern...cine.html#INTR

The Linus Pauling Institute is also very complete:
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote