View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 10:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The big difference between a traditional discectomy and an endoscopic discectomy is that an endoscopic discectomy uses a much smaller incision and the use of scopes versus scalpel. They still have to access the disc, and remove the offending portion. The recovery is much easier because there's less collateral damage to the surrounding tissues.

As to the difference between "attacks" of sciatica and the pain from a compressed nerve root is that the attacks are transient in nature and are usually the "sharp, stabbing pain" that's associated with nerve pain. When you have a nerve root that is constantly under pressure, you're going to have a constant pain, often dull, but it can be described as a buzzing, or bugs crawling, or twitching.

I'm a thoracic spinal sufferer, so I can't speak from first hand experience about pain down my legs from compressed spinal nerves. But, I have a constant ache/pressure that wraps around my ribs and abdomen, with these occasional zaps when I change position. I can only imagine that it's similar with the L-spine and the legs.

I would definitely run it by the PCP the next time you're in. It can't hurt to ask, and find out if something like an endoscopic disectomy could relieve some of his symptoms. Some people respond well to medications like Neurotin or Topomax for neuropathy associated to spinal nerve root issues. I've been lucky to have the worst of my back problems alleviated with Botox injections (minimized the spasms), so it's possible that some type of injection to the spinal nerve roots might be appropriate for your husband.

If you haven't already, check out the web for SNRB (selective nerve root blocks) for more info on it.

Theresa
Tbackpain1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote